city at night

city at night

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Switching Grocery Stores

As I have said before, whenever I am at Alejandro's house I do some cooking to give Alejandro and his sister a break from the daily grind of having to prepare something to put on the table. I usually do my grocery shopping at Walmart, not because I like Walmart (I never shop there when I am at home), but because it is a quick trip just two stops on the Metrobus line from Alejandro's house.  However, the last two times I have gone there, they did not have something I needed.  The last time they didn't have the bags of shredded chicken breast that I often use.  The time before that they didn't have any poblano peppers.  (A supermarket in Mexico without any poblanos? Unimagineable!)

Yes, I know, I should do my shopping in the market place like a traditional Mexican.  But I am trying to prepare things that are quick and easy, so I use shortcuts like the shredded, chicken breast that I put in chilaquiles, or Hunt's sauce for pasta which I doctor up for spaghetti.  

On Monday I was at Alejandro's house, and I decided that I was not going to Walmart.  If I get off the Metrobus at the usual stop, and then transfer to another line, in just two more stops I will be at another shopping plaza with a Chedraui.


Chedraui is a Mexican-owned chain of supermarkets / department stores that is the third largest retailer in the country.  The first supermarket was opened in 1971 in Xalapa, Veracruz, by a Lebanese immigrant by the name of Lázaro Chedraui.

Although I did not explore the entire store, the grocery section was much larger than Walmart's.  I found everything that I needed to make dinner that day.  So, in the future, I will dump Walmart and do my shopping at  Chedraui.

2 comments:

  1. While you've been gone at Great Northern, World Market, Bed Bath and Beyond, Pier 1, AC Moore Crafts and Macy's are closing. Yikes. Yet Walmart never dies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way things are going, we are going to be forced to buy everything on line from Amazon. Something I do NOT want to do!

      Delete