city at night

city at night

Monday, August 20, 2018

Wrapping Up Another Trip

It's hard to believe, but another trip to Mexico City is drawing to a close.  The five weeks have flown by.  Tomorrow I return to Ohio.

Last Friday I took care of sending the handicrafts that I couldn't fit into my suitcase.  There is (or I should say "there was") a business across the street from my apartment with a sign that says packing and shipping, and it had a Fed Ex logo.  I thought, "How convenient!"  But in spite of having stayed at this apartment for the last six trips, I had never paid attention to the fact that the place has obviously gone out of business.  The shutters on the entrance are never rolled up.  So I looked for someplace else to go.  There is a DHL office not far from me.  They do shipping, but not packing.  Then I found a local branch of a company called "Todo de Cartón" on the other side of Insurgentes Avenue.



I have used this business on previous trips to pack and ship purchases from Oaxaca and Mérida.  So I put my handicrafts in a bag, and took them over to "Todo de Cartón".  The young lady there carefully packed everything into a box.  None of my items were breakable, but she still wrapped things up in bubble wrap.  The box has been shipped out via Fed Ex, and it will arrive at my home two days after I do.  Shipping is not cheap.  The cost was half as much as all the souvenirs were worth.  

On Friday evening Alejandro and I went to a nearby restaurant called "World Food Center"... a play on words since the World Trade Center is less than a block away.  It features cuisine from a number of countries. The place is very pricey by Mexican standards, but the food is very good.  We ordered "chiles en nogada".  It was the fourth time that I have had them since arriving here in July, and it was the third time Alejandro has had them this month.  I am not going to say that they were the very best that I have had, but they were top-notch.



On Saturday we took a day trip to the city of Cholula, a couple hours away in the state of Puebla.  It is the home of the largest pyramid in the world (in terms of volume).  


I have several posts to write about Cholula, but that will have to wait until I return home.

Sunday was a rather lazy day, and Alejandro and I went to the movie theater to see "Christopher Robin", which was a sweet, enjoyable film

Now I must get everything organized for tomorrow's early morning departure.  I will spend tonight at Alejandro's family's house, since they live closer to the airport.

"Hasta luego", readers.  Do come back, because, as I said, there is still more for me to write about this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment