city at night

city at night

Thursday, August 9, 2018

My Downfall

On Sunday after breakfast, as we were walking to my apartment, Alejandro said, "Lets pass through the World Trade Center."   In the lobby of the exposition area there was a sign advertising an international handicrafts show on the second floor.  "Let's go," he said, knowing full well that I cannot resist buying handicrafts.  We took the escalator up to the show.

There were a number of countries represented, but the vast majority of the artisans were Mexican.  The very first booth that we saw was that of a gentleman by the name of Roberto Sosa.  He comes from San Martín Tilcajete, Oaxaca, a town famous for the production of "alebrijes", the wooden carvings of colorful, fantastical animals.  I ended up buying several small "alebrijes" from Señor Sosa.



We continued through the show, going from booth to booth.  I bought several more small items and Alejandro bought several things too.  He has been looking for a new "sombrero", and he found one that he liked.

We came to another booth selling "alebrijes".  Leticia and Fabián Cuevas also come from San Martín Tilcajete, and their craftsmanship is exceptional.  



Some years ago, I visited the workshop in San Martín Tilcajete of one of the most famous carvers, Jacobo Angeles.  There I bought a rather expensive "alebrije"... a figure of a bear, painted white and covered with the most intricate designs in muted colors.   Here I saw a carving of a coyote, also white with intricate designs in muted colors.  It too was quite expensive.  I thought that it would go very well with the bear that I have, and I wanted to buy it.  We continued going up and down the last aisles of the show, and then I came back to the booth of Señor and Señora Cuevas.  I pulled out my credit card.  I bought the coyote.

We returned to the apartment laden with our purchases.  I know that I have gone crazy buying things on this trip, and I have now reached the point where my purchases will not fit in my carry-on.  I could leave some of the items with Alejandro and bring them home on my next trip.  But then I realized that across the street from the apartment there is a Fed Ex office.  I have already carefully wrapped my expensive coyote and all of the breakable items in bubble wrap, and I have packed them in my suitcase.   I will take all of the other things that I have bought across the street and have them shipped home via Fed Ex.

It's all your fault, Alejandro!

1 comment: