city at night

city at night

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Another "Chile"

I have written here numerous times about my favorite restaurant in Mexico City, "Angelopolitano", as well my second-favorite, a chain of restaurants called "El Cardenal".
I have also written about my favorite Mexican dish, "chiles en nogada".  The "chiles" are superb at "Angelopolitano", and, unlike most restaurants, "Angelopolitano" serves it all year long.  "El Cardenal", on the other hand serves "chiles en nogada" only during the traditional season of August and September.  I have never had the dish at "El Cardenal", and I was curious as to how their "chiles" compare with those of "Angelopolitano".  

Last Wednesday I went to the location near the National Museum of Art for a late afternoon dinner.  As usual, the restaurant was busy, and I had to wait for about a half hour for a table. "El Cardenal" was offering a special three course "chiles en nogada" meal, and that is what I ordered.

The first course was an "enchilada de huitlacoche".  I recently discussed what "huitlacoches" are.  They are a corn fungus that back home are known as corn smut.  They are simply a type a mushroom, and this enchilada was delicious!





Then came the main course... the wonderful "chile en nogada".  I would be hard pressed to choose between the "chiles" at "El Cardenal" and those at "Angelopolitano".  They are excellent at both places!



The dessert was the only part of the meal which I did not like.  It was a sorbet flavored with "tunas" (the fruit of the prickly pear cactus) and mezcal.  I do not like the taste of mezcal (or tequila for that matter), and I ate perhaps half of it.



In spite of the bad ending, I was very happy to find another place that serves first rate "chiles en nogada".

No comments:

Post a Comment