city at night

city at night

Friday, August 3, 2018

Another Danger

I have written here, only half in jest, that the greatest danger that a visitor to Mexico City faces is the terrible sidewalks.  Uneven and with gaping holes, they wait to trip up the unwary pedestrian.

But there is another danger here... the bicyclist who does not bother to follow the rules of the road.  

In 2010 the city government inaugurated the Ecobici program.  Throughout the city there are bike stands or "docking stations" with distinctive red and white bicycles.  Residents (or even tourists) who have registered with the program may take a bike from any one of the bike stands and return the bike to any other stand that is close to their destination.



The government is to be commended for this effort to reduce traffic and air pollution.  However too many bicyclists ignore the fact that they need to follow the same rules as motorists.  Frequently I have seen cyclists run red lights, oblivious to the fact that pedestrians are crossing in the crosswalk.

Just this morning as I was crossing a street, a young man on a bicycle came within inches of running me over as he rounded the corner.   He returned his bike to the nearby "docking station" pictured above.  I walked over to him and in a stern voice told him in Spanish, "People on bicycles need to watch out for pedestrians."  He didn't say anything; he was probably dumbfounded by this crazy "gringo".  I doubt if my lecture will have any effect on him, but at least I had the satisfaction of telling him off.

No comments:

Post a Comment