city at night

city at night

Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Fudge Kitchen

It's that time of year when my kitchen is redolent with the smell of chocolate.  Every year at Christmas time I make fudge for friends, family and neighbors.  I have already made seven pans of my cherry fudge, and I have four more batches to make.




I do not have to take any fudge with me on my next trip to Mexico since I took a big box for Alejandro's family on my trip in October.  They carefully ration it out as if it were some precious treat, and they still have a good supply. There is no word in Spanish for fudge, so I simply refer to it as "chocolate".  Alejandro's little nephew Ezra is especially fond of my fudge, but it wasn't always that way.  A few years ago when I first brought them a box, Ezra tasted a piece and declared that it tasted like "rotten salmon".  I have no idea how he would know what rotten salmon tastes like, but I suspect that he was expecting the "chocolate" to be sweeter than it is.  In any event, it didn't take long for him to develop a taste for my fudge.

In the coming days I will be delivering many boxes of "rotten salmon" !

No comments:

Post a Comment