from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Somber Thoughts

I apologize to my readers for writing such a melancholy post at this festive time of year.

Recently I have been thinking a lot about my dear friend and teaching colleague, Jane, who passed away two years ago this month. 


Jane and I taught Spanish together for many years, and we shared many travel experiences.  Our trips together in Yucatán and Oaxaca are recorded on this blog.  In September of 2015 she was diagnosed with cancer, and before Christmas she was gone.

Yesterday I received the news that the younger sister of a good high school friend of mine is gravely ill.  I did not even know that she was sick, but she is now receiving hospice care.  I am going to pay her a short visit this afternoon.  I do not know her really well... we would see each other from time to time, usually when her brother was in town... but the news hit me hard.  It is another gut-wrenching reminder of our mortality and the fragility of life.

So, I would say to you, my readers, always value each day and treasure your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment