city at night

city at night

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Superama

Yesterday the first order of business was to go to the supermarket to stock the cupboards and refrigerator in the apartment.  Just a couple blocks away there is a small shopping mall which includes a "Superama". 




"Superama" is a Mexican supermarket chain.  Although it was bought out by Walmart (ugh!), it remains an upscale establishment.  Some years ago I shopped at a different "Superama" located in the Condesa neighborhood, and I was not very impressed.  This one near my new place however is much nicer.  It looks brighter and cleaner, and the aisles are wider. 


A pile of beautiful avocados in the foreground.
To the left are jicamas, a root vegetable that (at least to me) tastes like a cross between an apple and a water chestnut.

When I checked out I had two large canvas shopping bags filled with groceries and produce.  (By the way, if you should ever shop in a Mexican supermarket, be aware of the fact that you should give the person who bags your purchases a tip.  Most of them are elderly people who are earning a little extra money.  I may be overly generous, but I usually give them a ten peso coin.)

Even though it was only a couple blocks back to the apartment, trudging along at Mexico City's high altitude with two heavy bags was a bit of a workout!

2 comments:

  1. The Superama in Condesa is definitely just so-so, but probably only because they couldn't get a better place. So it's small and cramped. There's a very nice one on the corner of Avenida Coyocán and Xola that could, if you were drunk enough, pass for a Whole Foods. You can find it here: https://goo.gl/maps/kzZCxSHdQuE2 If I'm feeling energetic or needing something that my local Sumesa doesn't have, then I'll hike over the Viaducto to the Superama.

    As for WalMart, I think they do a great job SOB and a decent job here. Why the "ugh?"

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Redding, CA
    Where there's an enormous Wal*Mart that's always full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 2 Superamas in Condesa... one on Michoacán and another on Montes de Oca. The one on Montes de Oca is a little less cramped but still not great.
      Although I admit to visiting the Walmart in Merida, Yucatan, back home I never shop at Walmart!

      Delete