city at night

city at night

Thursday, April 27, 2017

A Baby Pyramid

I recently wrote about the neighborhood of San Pedro de los Pinos which is adjacent to the "colonia" where I am staying.  Later I read on the internet that there is a small pyramid in San Pedro.  Fellow blogger, Scott, the author of Gringopotpourri, is familiar with the neighborhood and told me that the archaeological site was closed to the public when he was there.  Nevertheless, I decided to see for myself.  I looked at Google Maps, and I found the pyramid located on, logically, "Pirámide" Street.  I also noticed that there was a cultural center located next door.  Perhaps access to the pyramid is through the cultural center?

I walked over to San Pedro de los Pinos.  I once again enjoyed its peaceful side streets.  Other than the hectic thoroughfares of Avenida Patriotismo and Avenida Revolución, which I had to cross, the neighborhood is quite tranquil and pleasant. 

I reached the archaeological site which is fenced in.  The pyramid is called Mixcoac after the pre-Hispanic town which once occupied the area.  The term pyramid is a misnomer.  All Mexican pyramids were platforms upon which to build their temples.  The large ones have a somewhat pyramidal shape, but this little one simply looks like a platform.  It was probably built around 1200, and was later used by the Aztecs until the Spanish conquest.  The temple which once stood atop the platform may have been dedicated to the god of the hunt.  San Pedro de los Pinos (of the pine trees) was at one time a forested area and a good hunting ground.

I saw no one within the fenced in zone, but the manicured grounds, the pathways, and the informational signs gave the appearance of a place that welcomed tourists.  I walked over to the cultural center.  I went inside and asked a lady if there was access to the pyramid.  She told me to go down the street and around the corner to where there was a gatehouse.

I did that.  There was a gatehouse, and a gate which was locked shut.  I saw a guard busy talking on his cellphone.  I finally caught his attention, and he came over to me.  I asked him if the site was open to the public.  He said "No."  "Is it ever open?"  "No."

Scott had told me that behind the site there is a street which climbs up toward an elevated expressway.  From there he was able to get pictures of the "pyramid".  So I followed in his footsteps.  Here is my picture of this tiny archaeological zone.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!

    Have you been to the ruins of Tenayuca? I think it's in the northwest of Mexico City but I have no idea how to get there without a car....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been to Tenayuca. Have you been to the little Aztec pyramid nearby at Santa Cecilia? It's really cool.

      Delete