city at night

city at night

Monday, November 3, 2014

My New Place in Mexico City

For the last three years on my trips to Mexico City I have been renting an apartment rather than staying in a hotel.  Although some apartments have been better than others, it is generally more pleasant and cheaper to have my own place rather than a hotel room.  I also feel more like a resident instead of a tourist.  There was one apartment in particular that was my favorite... a very spacious and attractive place with an excellent location in Mexico City's Condesa neighborhood.  Whenever I could, I would stay there.

However, the owner of my "home away from home" had some long term tenants, and the apartment was not available this time.  So I had to find a different place.  I am pretty satisfied with the apartment that I settled on.  It is also located in Condesa, on Amsterdam Avenue.  Amsterdam Avenue is a very pleasant, tree-lined street that runs in a large oval. (It follows the course of a racetrack that used to be located here in the 1800s.  

The apartment is very bright and sunny with windows looking out on the avenue.  It is located on the seventh floor so any noise from traffic below is not too annoying.  

The living room is very comfortable and homey.  A few of the apartments where I have stayed have been quite sterile.  But this place has houseplants, books on the shelves, and pictures on the walls.  It feels like home.


One thing that I really like about this place is that is has a very nice workspace where I was able to set up my computer.  Here I can comfortably work on my blog.

 
The one thing that this apartment lacks is a big kitchen.  The little kitchen and dining area is fine for breakfast, but in the other apartment I would occasionally cook dinner.  This kitchen, with its mini-refrigerator and two burner cook top, doesn't really lend itself to any major cooking.  I think that the most I will do is scramble eggs, or throw together some "chilaquiles" for breakfast.  Since there are scores of wonderful restaurants within walking distance, that will not be a problem.



A sunset view from my window yesterday

Although the other apartment is still my favorite, I am very happy with my little place on Amsterdam Avenue!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that place looks nice, even with the Tlaxcala-sized kitchen. And I'm sure you could easily enough cook something appetizing, even with only 2 burners. I managed to cook Eddy a couple of very nice pasta dinners in a kitchen FAR less well equipped than yours. And he's got one of those 2-burner "campstove" kinds of things that just sit on the counter.

    So no whining....

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where today while vacuuming leaves, we were momentarily overcome with envy at your present circumstances relaxing in Mexico City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not whining. It gives me an excuse to eat out... and as you know there are loads of restaurants in this vicinity. I've already seen a couple that are new to me that I want to try. There's a Portuguese restaurant just a couple blocks away, and tonight we will probably go to a place called "La Casa de Tlayudas" (Tlayudas could be called Oaxaca's version of pizza.)

      Have fun with those leaves. LOL
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
    2. There's an old joke about that, right? What does a Jewish-American Princess make for dinner?


      Reservations, dahling!!!

      (I know. You're not Jewish. )

      Delete
    3. I suppose that the same could apply to a Polish-American Prince. LOL

      Delete
  2. If your other apartment is your favorite, it must be a knockout. This one is pretty terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the other place is wonderful. You can see pictures of it on a post that I wrote in January entitled "My Home Away From Home". The place where I am at right now is very nice and in a great neighborhood. But the tiny kitchen makes cooking very difficult, and this place does not have a washer and dryer. Oh, and the other place has a jacuzzi, which I never got around to using!

      Delete
  3. It's a fine looking pad. Like Kim, it's leaving me a little jealous. I'd like to persuade the Mrs that, if we can't go back to live in Mexico, perhaps we could at least visit...

    ReplyDelete