city at night

city at night

Monday, November 17, 2014

"Gringo" Food in Mexico City

We have had an incredible variety of food while I have been in Mexico City.  Of course we have had plenty of traditional Mexican food, including dishes typical to the Mexican states of Puebla and Oaxaca.  We have also been to Spanish, Catalán, Indian/Pakistani, and Portuguese restaurants.

I have always been very critical of people who travel to foreign country and end up eating at McDonald's or any other American fast food chain.  However, during my wanderings around the neighborhood, I found an American-style diner just a short distance from the apartment.  It's called "Barracuda Diner", and it's located on Avenida Nuevo León.

We decided to eat there one night last week.  I must say that the prices are quite high, even by American standards.  However, the quality of the food is very high.  The hot dogs are kosher, the hamburgers are of organic beef, and the buns are home baked.

When Alejandro is in the United States, he really likes root beer which is something not commonly found in Mexico.  When I looked at the menu, I told him, "They have root beer floats!"  So that it what we had to drink.  Alejandro thought the root beer float (made with A&W Root Beer) was delicious.  We then shared a serving of chili fries... something else new to him. 

Alejandro had a hamburger, and I had a hot dog with sauerkraut.  We both had onion rings.  He had never had macaroni and cheese either, so we shared a serving of that.  It wasn't like the stuff from a box... it was really good, home-made mac and cheese.



Even though it's expensive, and "muy gringo", the "Barracuda Diner" made it onto our list of places to revisit!

2 comments:

  1. McDonald's can often be convenient for travelers because it usually has wifi and clean restrooms, but I generally agree with you. And McDonald's (and Burger King, Wendy's, etc.) are as expensive, dollar-wise, overseas as they are in the U.S.

    I used to spend a lot of time in Coyoacán. I stumbled upon a way-cool 1950's-style diner there once. It serves amazing hamburgers, fries, and old school malts. Beer, too! El Merendero is the name, IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to the Barracuda Diner again on my latest trip. Alejandro tried Dr. Pepper for the very first time.
      The place attracts a young, trendy, Mexican crowd. I was the oldest person there... as well as the only "gringo".

      Delete