city at night

city at night

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

House and Garden Tour

Every Tuesday morning during the winter, the Mérida English Library conducts a house and garden tour of homes that have been purchased and renovated by ex-pats.  It gives visitors the opportunity to take a look behind a few of the facades that line the streets of the "centro histórico".  Registration takes place between 9:00 and 9:30 A.M., and the cost is 200 pesos per person.  The proceeds benefit the Mérida English Library.  At 9:30 a very informative introductory talk on the history of the city's architecture is given.  Then the group takes off on a walking tour to visit three homes.  The owners talk briefly about their houses and the renovations that have been done.  The group is then free to wander and take pictures.  Since we were welcome to take pictures, I assume that the owners would not object to a few of my photos being posted on the internet...









Nancy and Fred enjoyed the tour.  Fred joked with me, "Which house are you going to buy
                                          so that we can come and visit you in Mérida?"
                                                                                 

5 comments:

  1. That's a cute house! I haven't seen that one yet. I try not to miss a house tour when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are from all three of the houses we saw on the tour. This is the 3rd time I have taken the tour, and each time all the houses have been new to me.

      Delete
  2. There are two tours, one for the Library and one for Yucatan Today, plus the semi-annual Showcase for Brazos. They're all highly recommended and well organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was aware of the Yucatan Today house tour. My friends will be leaving Sunday and another friend arriving on Monday. So I am thinking of taking her on the Wednesday Yucatan Today tour. It will be my first time to take that one.
      Gracias.

      Delete
  3. Those are amazing houses. And Mérida is incredibly charming. But I'm not sure I could live there, at least in the summer. I went to school in Houston, and found the climate there tough to adapt to. After nearly 20 years in Boston, I'm afraid I'd melt in Mérida.

    So instead, I'll enjoy it vicariously through blogs.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we're living small compared to all those Yucatecan expats!

    ReplyDelete