city at night

city at night

Monday, January 6, 2014

A very special Sunday

Every Sunday is festive in Mérida (see my previous post), but yesterday was a very special Sunday.  Not only was it the eve of the Day of the Kings (the Twelfth Night of Christmas or Epiphany, when Mexican children receive their presents from the the three Wise Men), but it was also the eve of the founding of the city of Mérida (January 6, 1542... four hundred seventy two years ago!)

To celebrate Mérida's birthday, at 11:00 P.M. on Sunday, a small parade assembled by the Plaza of Santa Lucía (right around the corner from our hotel).  The parade was led by young couples in traditional Yucatecan attire.  They were followed by members of the three organizations of "trova" musicians. ("Trova" is a style of serenade music for voice and guitar that became popular in the 19th century.)  I would "guestimate" that there were at least 100 musicians.



The parade proceeded down Calle 60 (the main street of the "centro histórico") marching toward the main plaza.  Most of the onlooking crowd, including myself, followed.  When we reached the plaza, the musicians climbed onto a stage in front of the city hall.  There each of the three organizations sang a couple traditional songs.  By that time it was midnight, and all the musicians as well as the assembled crowd sang "Las mañanitas", the Mexican birthday song.  That was followed by chants of "¡Viva Mérida!" and a fireworks display.



It was a very special ending to a wonderful day. 

3 comments:

  1. Indeed it was a very special Sunday. I made a short visit to Merida last year and I fell instantly in love with the city ever since. The more I read about their people, the sights, the festive environment, the more I think it's a great place to live.
    Thanks for your post, I didn't know that Jan 6 was the city's anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Mérida is one of my favorite places in Mexico. I'm not sure that I could handle the heat in the spring and summer, but it is definitely a wonderful place to be in the winter.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day. I have very fond memories of Mérida, and am eager to return. It seems like a LOT has changed since I was last there in '93.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we have cold rain instead of snow. Whopee!!!

    ReplyDelete