from airplane

from airplane

Monday, January 27, 2014

Back to Mexico City

Alejandro and I were up before dawn this morning, because we had a 6:30 A.M. flight from Mérida to Mexico City.  We flew on a Mexican budget airline called Interjet... my first time on that airline.  It may be a budget carrier, but in many respects it was better than United Airlines.  For one thing it is more comfortable.  Alejandro told me that they removed five rows of seats from the cabin to create more legroom.  Also, even on domestic flights, you may check two suitcases, weighing up to 55 pounds each, free of charge.  Our flight left right on time from Mérida airport, and shortly after 8 A.M. we landed in Mexico City.  Our pilot did something which I haven't experienced for a long, long time.  He pointed out landmarks that we could see from our windows...  the port city of Progreso, the Gulf coast at Celestún, and the parade of volcanoes leading up to Mexico City.  I was very pleased with the flight.

(Image from the web)


Upon arrival in Mexico City, we got a taxi and went to Alejandro's house.  There he picked up his car, dropped me off at the apartment that I have rented, and then went to work.

So, here I am back in "the monster", as the Mexicans call Mexico City, settled into a very comfortable apartment, and ready to begin the final chapter of my seven week sojourn south of the border.

2 comments:

  1. You're the second blogger this week to write glowingly about Interjet. I have a feeling that airline will be in my future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will most likely continue to fly United Airlines to get to Mexico (even though Interjet does fly to a few U.S. destinations). But for domestic flights within Mexico, Interjet looks like a very good option. I just wish that Mérida were one of their hubs so that I could fly, for example, directly from Mérida to Oaxaca.

      Delete