from airplane

from airplane

Monday, January 13, 2014

We made the newspaper!

As I mentioned in the previous post, I had the opportunity this morning to meet fellow blogger, Marc Olson.  He had told me in an e-mail that he had a copy of a local paper, "Por Esto", that he was going to bring it with him, and that I would be surprised.  I suspected that my picture had appeared in the paper.  I thought that I might be in the background in a photo about the January 5th parade to celebrate Mérida's birthday.  I had been on the sidewalk waiting for the parade to start, and there were a lot of photographers covering the event.  As it turns out, the picture was of my friends Nancy, Fred and me walking under the "portales" of the main plaza.  (We didn't even realize that we had been photgraphed.) The article was about the increase in tourism in the state of Yucatán, and the photographer had obviously been assigned to get a picture of some "gringo" tourists.  Marc doesn't usually read that newspaper, but by chance he had seen that edition and recognized me from my blog.


2 comments:

  1. Haha! That's awesome! By the way, your posts have made me want to start planning a trip to Mérida. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Rowe is down here with me right now, and she says "hola". Let me know when you travel to Mérida... we'll join you! :-)

      Delete