city at night

city at night

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Visitors from Progreso

Today my friends Joyce and Dave paid a visit to my house in Mérida.  For a number of years they have been spending their winters in Progreso (or more precisely in the neighboring town of Chicxulub).  Progreso, located on the northern coast of the peninsula, is the major port of Yucatán, and is less than an hour from Mérida. 

Joyce and Dave rent a condo down here for a couple months each winter.  Joyce is also a retired Spanish teacher.  She taught in a different school district than I, but we met years ago when we both took a summer workshop for Spanish teachers.

They thought that the house I am renting is very charming.



We then went downtown for lunch.  I took them to a restaurant where they had never never eaten before, El Chile Habanero.  We had a very good meal there.  For desert we had ice cream.  Joyce and Dave had coconut ice cream served in the shell.  But I had my favorite flavor, mamey, also served in the shell of the fruit.  Joyce doesn't care for mamey (I won't hold that against her), but Dave had never tried it before.  He tasted a couple spoonfuls of mine, and thought it was very good.  Majority rules!!



No comments:

Post a Comment