city at night

city at night

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Orquesta Sinfónica de Yucatán

In all the trips that I have made to Mérida, I have never been inside the lovely Peón Contreras Theater.  It was completed in 1904 during the height of the boom years when Mérida had more millionaires per capita than any other city in the world.  Here the elite of Mérida society could attend performances in lavish European style.  

Jane and I got tickets for a concert by the Yucatán Symphony Orchestra for Friday night.  I have to admit that I was really more interested in seeing the inside of the theater than in hearing the concert.  I am guilty of being an orchestra snob since my home town of Cleveland has one of the greatest orchestras in the world.  (If you don't believe me, google the Cleveland Orchestra.)  I really wasn't expecting much from this regional orchestra that is only ten years old.

I was pleasantly surprised by the concert.  The program consisted of familiar waltzes and overtures.  The final piece, "La Valse" by Ravel, seemed a bit ragged in spots, but overall, the orchestra did a fine job.  I enjoyed the concert, and I am considering purchasing tickets for next Friday's performance if any seats are still available.  Kudos to Mérida for this fine cultural institution.

Here are some pictures of the interior of the theater...






Here are Jane and I before the concert.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment