city at night

city at night

Monday, January 13, 2014

Coffee with a fellow blogger

Although I have only been blogging for a few months, I have already made contact with a number of fellow bloggers who either live in or are writing about Mexico.  Today I had the pleasure of meeting one of them face to face.  Even before I started my own blog, I was reading the blog of  Marc Olson, "An Alaskan in Yucatan".  We made a date to get together for coffee today at the very traditional Mexican café, "Flor de Santiago" (which I mentioned in a previous post).  

Over coffee we had a very nice conversation. It turns out that we are practically neighbors.  He lives a short distance from the house that I am renting.  After coffee he showed me the house that he just bought a short time ago.  He hasn't moved in yet since he has lots of plans for renovating the place.  The house is structurally sound and has great potential, but since it has not been occupied for a number of years, a lot of work has to be done.  I loved all of the terraces that the house has... it will make for wonderful outdoor living spaces.

It was nice to meet you Marc, and I hope to see you again!  Good luck with the renovations, and I hope that you have fun as your plans come to fruition "poco a poco".


 

8 comments:

  1. Marc has me super curious about that house. He's one of the smart expats...very thoughtful and knowledgeable. Whatever he bought will be a good investment for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is indeed very thoughtful and knowledgeable, and seems like a very nice guy to boot.

      Delete
  2. I had the pleasure of meeting Mark when I was in Merida in December. His new home has so much potential and it will be very interesting to see how he develops it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... if I am in Merida next winter, I hope I get to see the progress that Marc has made. He hopes to have the upstairs completed and to move in by then.

      And thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. It was great to meet you, Bill. I look forward to seeing again on future visits. And thanks Bill, Lee and Pat for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was great to meet you too, Marc! The best of luck with your house project, and I hope to see you again.

      Delete
  4. I've always enjoyed Marc's blog, and the fact that he has bothered to learn Spanish and to hang out with the natives, rather than live in an isolated Gringo Expat Bubble. Hopefully I too can someday meet him.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where you're on the "hope-to-meet-someday" list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely admire the fact that Marc does not live within an ex-pat clique. We will be getting together for coffee on Tuesday after my friend departs, and I am on my own here for a couple days.
      Hope that our paths cross someday too.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete