volcanoes

volcanoes

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

The Main Objective

The primary purpose of my trip to Ohio was to vote in the election.  U.S. citizens who live outside the country are able to vote by mail-in ballots.  However, given the status of the mail in Mexico, I wanted to vote in person.  Besides, as already mentioned, I had other things I wanted to accomplish while up here.  Early voting in Ohio began on October 8th at the Board of Elections in each county.  Last Friday, I drove to downtown Cleveland, and did my civic duty.





In the past, since I would usually be in Mexico on Election Day, I have always voted early.  Usually there would not be a long line at the Board of Elections, and I would have a minimal wait to receive my ballot.  This year, on the the opening day of early voting, there was a record number of voters who showed up in Cleveland.  Even several days later, I had never seen so many people at the Board of Elections.  The line snaked through the hall, and there were over twenty windows open for voters to sign in and receive their ballots.  Every time there was someone who was voting for the first time, one of the workers would ring a bell, and those waiting in line would applaud.

By the time I left the building, the line of people waiting to vote stretched along the sidewalk outside the Board of Elections.


I am hopeful that the large turnout is a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment