volcanoes

volcanoes

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Last Minute Shopping

During my time in Germany and Switzerland, I had purchased most of the souvenirs that I wanted to take back to Mexico as gifts.  However, I waited until the end of my stay in Switzerland before buying Swiss chocolate.  I didn't have to go far for that.  I crossed the street from my hotel in Basel and went to the train station.

Located in the station there is a "Sprüngli" shop.  "Sprüngli" is a luxury brand of chocolate, and their products are very expensive.  


So, I passed by "Sprüngli" and went instead to the Migros Supermarket in the train station.  I figured that I could find a selection of good, moderately priced chocolates there.


 There was a selection indeed!  This photo shows less than half of the chocolate section.


It took me quite a while to look over everything and select what I was going to buy.  I bought a couple of chocolate bars by "LIndt" which is probably the best known brand of Swiss chocolates in the U.S.  "Lindt" was founded by the Sprüngli family, but has been an independent company since 1892.  I did a bit of research on the company and found out that they bought out the U.S. chocolatiers Ghiradelli and Russel Stover.  After the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Lindt permanently exited the Russian market.

I also bought a number of products by another Swiss chocolatier, "Frey".  I researchws "Frey" also and discovered that their headquarters are in Aargau, the canton from which my Swiss ancestors came and where many of my cousins still live.  Since 1950 "Frey" has been owned by the Migros supermarket company.

With these purchases, my gift shopping in Europe was complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment