from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, December 18, 2021

It Wouldn't Be Christmas Without...

Those of you who have read my blog over the years, know that every Christmas I make numerous batches of fudge.  For some friends and neighbors my home-made fudge is every bit as expected as my original Christmas cards.  

Many years ago, my father found a recipe for "Soldier's Fudge", and he would make it each year at Christmas.  I started making some to take to my teaching colleagues in the foreign language department. Since retirement I have continued the tradition, although I have modified the recipe, making it smoother with a bit more sweetened condensed milk and substituting dried cherries for the chopped walnuts. (I will have to make one batch with walnuts however.  My sister-in-law Phyllis does not like fruit in her fudge!) 

This year is no different than Christmas seasons in the past.  I have already made seven pans of fudge and I have three more to make.  I don't make any for myself, although, of course, I need to taste-taste a few pieces from each pan just to make sure it came out right!


My fudge-making will continue beyond Christmas because I need to make a batch to take down to Mexico in January for Alejandro and his family.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I was nearer to "taste test" your fudge.
    I have recipes out to start baking next week. Time
    will tell how many of them get made........I no longer
    make multiple plates full of cookies as gifts, sadly.
    Life marches on.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to bake cookies, but not anymore. The fudge is very easy to make. It seems like it takes more time to cut it and put it in boxes than to make it.

      Delete