city at night

city at night

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Another Yucatecan Restaurant

On my way back from my late afternoon visit to the Mixcoac Archaeological Site I stopped to eat at a little place serving Yucatecan cuisine.  It's called Le-Lah-Tho.  I did not think to ask what the name means in Mayan, but I know that "Tho" was the name of the Mayan city which stood where the Mérida, the capital of Yucatán, is today.




The restaurant is located on busy Patriotismo Avenue away from any area frequented by tourists.  I am sure that don't many "gringo" patrons.

The waitress was very sweet.  She warned me that the "habanero" salsa on the table was very spicy.  ("Habanero"... typical of Yucatán... is one chile pepper that is too hot for my palate.)  She later brought a little bowl of pickled, purple onion, another typical condiment, and told me "Esto no pica." (Literally, "This doesn't sting.)

To drink I ordered a pitcher of "jamaica" (water flavored with hibiscus flowers), and I began with "sopa de frijol con fideo"... black bean soup with short, vermicelli-like noodles.



As a main course I ordered Yucatecan tamales.  The tamales are filled with "cochinita pibil" (marinated shredded pork), wrapped in banana leaves and steamed.  It is served with a tomato sauce which the waitress told me "no pica".  She also brought me a small plate to put the banana leaves as I unwrapped the tamales.



The tamales were very tasty.  I had already eaten two of the three before I realized that I should take a picture of one unwrapped.



For dessert I ordered "natillas con X'tabentún"... a custard with a Yucatecan honey liqueur.  I love X'tabentún.  Unfortunately, the waitress came back and told me that they were out of the "natillas", so I had to settle for flan.

The restaurant is a cute, unpretentious place, the service was very attentive, and the food was very good.  It's only a fifteen minute walk from my apartment, so it is on my list for a return visit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment