city at night

city at night

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

I Hang My Head in Shame

It's been a while since I have posted anything political on this blog, but that does not mean that I have not been seething over the orange "Pendejo" in the White House.  With his latest level of depravity, I have to vent, or my head will explode.

Along our southern border there are scenes which seem reminiscent of Nazi Germany.  Children are being forcibly separated from their parents and placed in cages.  Children cry out for their "mamá" and "papá", while some Neanderthal guards (my apologies to the Neanderthals) make jokes about it.  The attorney general has the gall to defend the policy by quoting scripture.  The "Pendejo" calls the undocumented immigrants an "infestation", and then in a jingoistic gesture hugs the flag.

(image taken from the web)

In the current political climate, the "deplorables" have been emboldened.  They have crawled out of their fetid holes and proudly proclaimed their bigotry.

Every nation has had its dark pages of history, and the United States is no exception.  Our nation's story has a recurring theme of racism and bigotry.  The horror of slavery was followed by the Klu Klux Klan, lynchings and Jim Crow Laws...  treaties with the Native Americans were constantly broken and their population was systematically decimated... Irish immigrants were viewed as sub-human... in fact any non-WASP immigrant was viewed with contempt... the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 closed the door to Chinese immigrants and scores of Chinese were murdered with impunity... during World War II, law-abiding Japanese-Americans were rounded up and sent to internment camps. One hopes that as a nation we learn from history and progress toward social justice.  However, currently it seems as if we are regressing.

At this moment in time

I am ashamed of my country.   

4 comments:

  1. I am truly horrified at the direction things are headed. My husband and I have had conversations where we consider what, exactly, it would take for us to leave the US, and we're sadly getting very close to that point. And what's most horrifying and shameful is how many Americans still are not bothered by what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing about this. I am too upset to even put two words
    together about it...and the people who minimize or defend it must be
    CRAZY. I am so worried about all those children. They must be terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleepless in San Miguel....I have been so upset and angry that the whole week has been a cloud of anger. He started when announced his candidacy to "dehumanize" the poor people who manage to get to the border to request asylum. It has worked with about 30% of our population. I keep holding on to the fact that there are 70% of us to do something about it. I have no intention, at the present time, of returning to the USA. It is so disgusting, deplorable and despicable. Those poor children - i think of them almost all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trump visits the UK in just a few weeks and will be welcomed with a sizeable protest. I have the day off, so I'll join it.

    We have similar problems with Brexit. But thus far we haven't gone quite so far as to seize kids and throw them in cages. Thus far...

    ReplyDelete