from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Street Food Revisited

Last month I wrote a post about food vendors on the streets of Mexico City, and I admitted to being a "scaredy-cat" when it comes to eating street food.  The food vendors do not seem to be quite as ubiquitous in Mérida, except on Sunday.  Every Sunday here is like a "fiesta".  The streets around the main plaza are closed to traffic, and dozens of food stands are set up.


I did not partake from these vendors, although I must admit that I was sorely tempted by the "marquesitas".  A "marquesita" consists of a freshly made crepe rolled up around a filling of cheese with Nutella, sweetened condensed milk, Mexican caramel, or other flavors. It sounds yummy.


We continued down Calle 60, the main street in the historic center. It too is closed to traffic on Sundays.  We ended up at Plaza Santa Lucía, which also has a fiesta atmosphere.  A stage is set up, and the locals dance to the music of a salsa band.  There are a few vendors here as well.  One of them is charming lady by the name of Sabrina who sell tacos every Sunday.  



For some time I have read rave reviews on Trip Advisor about Sabrina's tacos, so Frank and I decided to throw caution to the wind and have some street food.  I had a "flauta" and three tacos filled with potatoes and chorizo.  They were indeed very good!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment