city at night

city at night

Friday, November 13, 2015

I Never Saw This Before

I have probably visited Chapultepec Park, Mexico City's most famous park, dozens of times.  It is located within walking distance of my apartment (well, it is if you enjoy walking as I do).  The other day I was walking along a path that I usually don't take.  It runs along the bottom of Chapultepec Hill.  I came upon a sign describing the Chapultepec Archaeological Site.  Chapultepec Hill was revered by the Aztecs, and several Aztec emperors had their images carved into the rock at the foot of the hill.  These carvings were defaced by the Spanish conquerors, but traces of the image of Moctezuma II (the ruler that we know as Montezuma) survive.  I looked carefully, and sure enough, there it was.  Can you make out what is left of Montezuma's legs?


And there are clearly traces of Aztec calendar glyphs.


As I have said before, no matter how many times I visit Mexico City, I always see something I have not seen before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment