from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Exhibit at Iturbide's Palace

Whenever I travel to Mexico City I always make a point to go to the Historic Center of the city to see what exhibit is on display at Iturbide's Palace.  The palace is one of the most impressive of the many grand mansions that were built in Mexico City during colonial times.  The property now belongs to Banamex (the Bank of Mexico), and for a number of years the Bank has used the palace as a venue for art exhibits.  I have seen some fascinating shows here, and they are always free.



Currently there is an exhibit of works by a contemporary Mexican sculptor by the name of Javier Marín.  Those of you who have read my blog for a while, know that my tastes in art are rather traditional, and that I am not a fan of the "avant garde".  Marín's work however is representational and is inspired by classical sculpture.  His sculptures are made of clay.  For his larger works, sections are fired separately and then pieced together.

This is the first time that they have allowed photography at the palace exhibits.  So here are some pictures of the sculpture of Javier Marín...





In the center of the palace courtyard is a monumental equestrian statue.


I was definitely impressed with Marín's artistic talent.  However there is a sameness to much of his work, and after a while I was not lingering to study each piece.  I found some of the figures to even be a bit repulsive.  I spent much less time here than I have at the other exhibits that I have attended at Iturbide's Palace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment