from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The World's Largest Flower Shop??

Today I walked for about 20 minutes to the Chilpancingo metro (subway) station.  There is a metro station closer to my apartment, but Chilpancingo is on the same line as my destination.  Just four stops later, I got off at the Jamaica station... and just a few steps down the street and I was at the Jamaica Market.



Jamaica Market, one of the city's traditional market buildings, covers a city block.  Even though it is one of Mexico City's major markets, I had never been there before.  A good portion of the building is filled with the typical stalls selling produce, meats, household goods, etc.  But that is not what I had come to see.



Jamaica Market is the most important flower market in Mexico City.  As I made my way past the fruit and vegetable stalls, I was about to ask someone where the flowers were.  But I continued walking, and before long I was in the flower section.  It continued on and on and on.  According to what I have read, the market has over 1000 flower vendors selling over 5000 varieties of flowers and ornamental plants.  If you like flowers, this place is a "must-see" in Mexico City!



                                 First I passed through the aisles of flower arrangements.



It seems that all white (with some yellow allowed) is de riguer for funeral arrangements.

Cute arrangements in the form of animals

 This vendor not only graciously allowed me to photograph him while he worked on an arrangement, but he joked, "Oh, but I haven't combed my hair."

 I saw stall after stall of arrangements, but I had just begun.  There was still aisle after aisle of cut flowers to see.






I'm not up on flower prices, but 20 pesos (about $1.50) seems like a pretty good price for six gerbera daisies.

 
And I'm sure that 80 pesos (a little over $6) for six dozen long stem roses has be a steal!


If it weren't for the fact that I had a metro ride and a long walk to get home, I would have bought a big bouquet for the apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment