from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Broadway in Mexico

Last summer when Alejandro visited me in Ohio, I got tickets for us to see "The Lion King" at Playhouse Square in Cleveland.  On this trip, Alejandro returned the favor and bought tickets for us to see "Wicked" which has been running in Mexico City for the last several months.



The performance was at the Telcel Theater in Plaza Corso, a large commercial complex built by Mexico's richest man, Carlos Slim.  The theater bills itself as the best in all of Latin America.  It just opened last year, and "Wicked"  was its first big Broadway play.

We had great seats in the fourth row.  Of course the production was in Spanish.  I had never seen the play before, and I was a little concerned about how much I would understand.  (I don't always catch all the lyrics of songs in English, much less in Spanish!)  Well, a lot of the lyrics were indeed lost on me, but I had no trouble following the story, and I even caught a lot of the humorous lines. (Humor is often very difficult to understand in a foreign language.)

As for Alejandro...  fortunately when he visited me last summer, I showed him a lot of classic American movies.  One of the movies we watched was "The Wizard of Oz".  If he had not seen that, he might have had a difficult time understanding what the play was all about.

I thought it was a great production... very good actors and spectacular costuming and stage sets.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening!  ¡Gracias, Alejandro!

2 comments:

  1. What a coincidence. John Davidson, a singer and TV host, rented my guest house for 2 1/2 years here in San Miguel while his and his wife built a house here. Lovely lovely man who has been touring for the last year with the Broadway road company playing "The Wiz", in the USA. I"ve heard it is FABULOUS. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once saw the Rocky Horror Show in Spanish at the Teatro Arlequin, and I was pleasantly surprised by my ability to keep up. Of course having seen the movie version about 20 times in English didn't hurt, either, LOL...

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we've seen some other theater in Mexico with somewhat less success.

    ReplyDelete