city at night

city at night

Monday, November 4, 2013

My apartment

For the last couple years I have been staying in an apartment when I travel to Mexico City.  It's usually more economical than staying in a hotel, plus I feel like a resident instead of a tourist.  One apartment in particular has been my favorite.  It's very attractive and comfortable and located in the upper-middle class neighborhood (or "colonia") of Condesa.  However, my favorite place was not available this time, so I had to search for somewhere else to stay.

The place that I chose has it's pros and cons.  It is very reasonably priced (cheaper than my favorite).  It is located in the "colonia" of Escandón just to the south of Condesa.  It's a very safe, middle to upper-middle class neighborhood, but it's not as trendy as Condesa.  Condesa is one of the "in" spots for fine dining and night life... Escandón is not.  But that's OK, since the restaurants here seem to be more reasonably priced. My apartment is within walking distance of two subway stations and the "Metrobus" stop, so it is easy to reach other parts of the city.  The building has 24 hour security and a parking garage.  ( The garage is a big plus for when Alejandro comes to visit.  Trying to find a parking space on the street is a pain.)  I have wi-fi, cable TV (not that I watch that much TV), and a DVD player.

On the negative side, the apartment is located on the fifth floor, and there is no elevator.  I was huffing and puffing when I brought my suitcases up!  Even when I am not carrying anything, by the fourth floor, I feel like I am climbing a pyramid.  Oh well, good exercise I guess. After arrival I discovered that the gas had been disconnected.  I contacted the owner, and she had that taken care of within 24 hours.  Nevertheless, it was not fun taking a cold shower the first morning.  I also noticed that the washing machine is not functional since it's missing its door!  I guess I'll have to find a nearby laundry.  The kitchen is adequate, but small and not as well equipped if I decide to do some cooking here.  The place is attractive but in a lot small details (thin bath towels, not enough hangers in the closet, general maintenance of the building) it doesn't measure up to my favorite place.  It's true... you get what you pay for.  I don't mean to sound as if my trip is ruined because of this place.  I will enjoy my stay here.  But the next time I come to Mexico City I will definitely try to reserve my favorite in Condesa!





    

2 comments:

  1. I haven't spent much time in Mexico City, and am overdue for getting to know it much better. I look forward to seeing more of your posts...and maybe I can get a referral for that nice Condesa apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexico City can be overwhelming, but there is so much here that is worth seeing. I found the apartments that I have rented through the website Airbnb. Let me know if you plan a trip to D.F. I'll send you the links to the apartments that have been the best.

    ReplyDelete