city at night

city at night

Friday, November 8, 2013

A Day without Electricity

Yesterday I was planning on taking a break from sightseeing.   I was going to do some cooking and serve Alejandro supper when he came over after work.  I planned to make a pasta/tuna salad.  After my big breakfast of "chilaquiles" (see previous post), I worked on the blog for a while.  At the same time, I boiled the pasta, and, after it cooled, put it in the refrigerator.  I had just finished cooking the peas and carrots that I was going to add, when the electricity went out.  This was around 11:00 A.M.  I didn't think much of it since power outages are not uncommon in Mexico.  I wondered if the entire "colonia" was out.  I went downstairs and in the garage I saw some workers doing work on what looked like the electric meters.  So it was just our building that had no power.  I went out and ran some errands.  I went to the ATM, and to the bakery for some "bolillos" (the crusty rolls that are typical in Mexico) to go with supper.  When I returned, the men were still working, and there was still no electricity.

This may sound crazy, but I decided to spend the afternoon making out my Christmas cards.  Ever since I retired, I have sent my cards out right after Thanksgiving, and everyone expects to receive my card first.  Also, in retirement I have been creating my own cards.  I'm an amateur landscape painter.  Each year I do a painting to use as my Christmas card.  I scan the painting to the computer, and print them off.  I packed my cards, envelopes, and address list in my suitcase so that I could work on them down here when I had nothing else to do.  I made out 60 cards yesterday.  I only have 12 to go! 

I also spent some time reading a book that I had brought with me, a book entitled Collapse.  The author analyzes why various cultures throughout history have collapsed, and what lessons we can learn from them.  I'm looking forward to see what he has to say in his chapter on the Mayas.

By 5:00 P.M. there was still no electricity in the building and it was getting too dark to read.  Finally at 5:30 the lights came.  I was able to finish putting supper together, and the pasta/tuna salad was a success.  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment