zocalo

zocalo

Monday, February 12, 2024

Out for Lunch

As I have mentioned before, Thursday afternoon is when my cleaning lady comes to clean the apartment and do the laundry.  I always leave the apartment for several hours to get out of her way.  Last Thursday I walked to the neighboring district of San Pedro de los Pinos for afternoon dinner at a place called Villa Casona.


 Alejandro and I have eaten there a couple times, and we like the food.  It advertises itself as serving "gourmet Mexican cuisine".  I would classify it as a mid-range, white tablecloth restaurant that serves solid Mexican food.  Its customers seem to be largely an older, upper middle-class crowd that likes good quality, traditional cooking.  I guess I fit into that category.

As a starter I ordered "grandma's spaghetti"... pasta with "serrano" ham and a cheese sauce.


This is what in Mexico is called a "sopa seca"... a dry soup... a pasta or rice dish that is served before the main course.  What we consider a soup is called a "sopa aguada"... a wet soup... although if it is a cream soup, it is called a "crema".  This spaghetti dish was very tasty.

For my main course I ordered deboned chicken thighs served with green "mole"... also very tasty.


It was accompanied by rice and refried beans served in a crisp tortilla cup.

I indulged in dessert.  I had a slice of carrot cake.  It was a bit different from what we are used to, but it was good.



By the time I was finished, I still had a couple of hours to kill before my cleaning lady would be gone.  So, I decided to burn a few of those calories and take a long walk.


2 comments:

  1. Everything about this meal looks delicious!

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I much prefer places like this to fancy, trendy restaurants that charge a fortune and in my experience are disappointing.

      Delete