zocalo

zocalo

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

A Long Walk

 As I said at the conclusion of yesterday's post, last Thursday I had a couple of hours to kill after my afternoon dinner, so I took a long walk.  The restaurant where I ate is located on Avenida Revolución, a busy avenue that runs south through the affluent and historic district of San Angel and ends at the Olympic Stadium at the campus of the National University of Mexico. I decided that I would walk one hour down Avenida Revolución and see how far I would get.

There is nothing of great touristic interest along the stretch that I walked, but here are some photos to give you a feel for that bustling avenue...


Heading south on Avenida Revolución



Modern apartment and office buildings



As in many parts of the city, you will find stands selling street food.  The one to the left had "tortas" (Mexican sandwiches) and hamburgers.  The stand to the right was selling fresh juices.



The names of the streets of many of the "colonias" (neighborhoods) have a theme.  Passing through the "colonia" of Nonalco, the streets are named after famous artists.



Occasionally you will come across a plaque on a corner that explains the origin of that street's name.  This plaque on Holbein Street says that the Holbein family were a German painters.  One of them, Hans Holbein the Younger moved to London where he painted portraits of King Henry VIII.



Soriana is a chain of Mexican stores similar to Walmart.  This one is a "Mega Soriana", an especially large store.



Next to the Soriana is a Toks.  Toks is a chain of restaurants.  Of the three major chains of casual dining places in Mexico City... Sanborns, VIPs and Toks... we like Toks the best.  Sanborns and VIPs have gone downhill ever since the pandemic, but Toks still serves good food.  I have never been to this one, but there is a branch closer to the apartment where Alejandro and I frequently go for breakfast on weekends.



You will also find almost all of the U.S. fast food chains in Mexico City.


Many of them even have drive-through windows.



You don't have to go into a store to shop.  There are vendors all along the street.  Here were fruits and vegetables.



Another vendor was selling wooden objects, mainly kitchen utensils.  Those wooden spoons and spatulas are very useful.  I should buy some for my apartment.



A variety of herbs set out on the sidewalk for sale for 10 pesos each.  I recognized the ginger root, chamomile, and cinnamon bark.



A vendor was selling fruit from his truck parked along the street.




I find it interesting that you will sometimes find businesses located under highway overpasses.  This one is a dental clinic called "Sonrisas Mexicanas" (Mexican Smiles).


Here is "Super Naturista", a health food store.  In the background, across the street is a PEMEX gas station.  PEMEX (Petróleos Mexicanos) is the state owned petroleum company.  Until recently, PEMEX had a total monopoly on the sale of gasoline in the country.



You will now see other gas stations besides PEMEX, although, I believe that they are required to buy their gasoline from PEMEX.



This convenience store is advertising "jochos", the Mexican word for hot dogs.



The most popular chain of convenience stores is OXXO.  You see them everywhere.



A tempting array of pastries in the window of La Esperanza Bakery



I looked at Google Maps for the name of this church...  a big church with a long name...
the Parish of the Purification of Our Lady la Candelaria.



I crossed a busy street with a rather gruesome name... "Barranca del Muerto" (Ravine of the Dead Man).


By the way, there's another Toks in the background.

Although I had never been to Barranca del Muerto, I was familiar with the name.  It is the final stop on one of the subway lines that I use.  (Hmmm... that's an ominous combination.... "end of the line" and "Ravine of the Dead Man".)


I was able to research the origin of the name on the internet.  The "barranca" was the scene of fighting between opposing forces in the Mexican Revolution, and the ravine was used as a mass grave.  No bodies have been disinterred, but residents claim that the area is haunted.



Wherever there is a subway station, you can count on there being street food stalls nearby.


 

More construction work... something you see throughout the city



An organ grinder on the sidewalk posed for a photo (after a small donation, of course).




I came to a shiny, shopping mall called "Portal de San Angel" (Gate of San Angel).  Checking Google Maps later, I found that I was not yet in the picturesque neighborhood of San Angel, although I was getting close.  However, I had been walking for an hour, and it was time for me to head back to the apartment.



Rather than walk back along the same route, I decided to cut over to familiar territory... Insurgentes Avenue.  It was easy to find my way.  All I had to do was head toward Torre Manacar, one of the landmark skyscrapers along Insurgentes.

By the time I reached the apartment, my cleaning lady was gone.





  

2 comments:

  1. Just south of where you walked are some interesting spots. (I'm sure you've seen them all before on separate trips.) On the left side is The Museo Arte de Carrillo Gil, and, beyond that, the Museo-Templo del Carmen, with its mummies and religious art. On the right side, further down, is Plaza Loreto, with its underrated Museo Soumaya, shops, and performance spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Templo del Carmen and Plaza Loreto. Not sure I'm interested in Museo Carrillo Gil if it is contemporary art. Of course, there's lots to see wandering around the historic heart of San Angel.

      Delete