from airplane

from airplane

Friday, October 23, 2020

Into the Gorge

I have mentioned here numerous times the Cleveland Metroparks, a wonderful system of natural areas which encircle Greater Cleveland.  One park which I had never visited was the Bedford Reservation which follows a section of Tinker's Creek.  Last Friday was a pleasant autumn day, so I decided to take another one of my local tourism excursions.

The park is traversed by the Gorge Parkway, and there are several places to pull off the road and enjoy the scenic beauty.  The first was the Gorge Overlook.  Tinker's Creek was named after Joseph Tinker, a member of the 1796 surveying team of Moses Cleaveland, the founder of the city of Cleveland.  It flows 28 miles through Portage, Summit, and Cuyahoga Counties before emptying into the Cuyahoga River.  In this section of its course it has carved out a gorge which has been designated by the Department of the Interior as a National Natural Landmark.


The view from the overlook is pleasant, although you cannot see the creek for all the trees.


Farther along the parkway is another parking lot from which you can take a short trail to visit Bridal Veil Falls.



A series of wooden stairs take you into the Gorge.



At the bottom, there is a small cascade along a stream that flows into Tinker's Creek.



 The trail continues across the bridge, and you come to a second, larger section of the falls.




I finished my excursion at Viaduct Park.  Another trail leads down into the gorge.



Long before you can see it, you can hear the Great Falls of Tinker's Creek...







It may not be Niagara Falls, but it was a scenic conclusion to my visit to the Bedford Reservation. 

4 comments:

  1. All those years working practically next door, it's hard to believe you never went there before now!

    I spent a lot of time there in high school. Our cross country team practiced there in the pre-season, and it was also a prime hang-out/cruising spot.

    I still love running the bridle trails there when I'm home for a visit. (There's several miles of trails in the woods.) It's such a lovely park and one of my favorite places in NE Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Not only that, but when I taught at West Junior High before I-480 was completed, I often took Tinker's Creek Road to Dunham.

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful section of the Metro Parks which I've never seen before. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete