city at night

city at night

Sunday, June 9, 2019

In the Box

As I mentioned in my last post, this has been an extremely rainy spring here in Ohio.  Last weekend we had heavy rains late Saturday night.  Although the sun came out on Sunday, it was too wet to work in the garden.  I had to content myself with planting the large flower box outside of my bedroom.  


My flower beds are filled with perennials so that I do not have to plant flowers each summer.  However, I fill the flower box with showy annuals.

I planted miniature dahlias.  Did you know that the dahlia is native to Mexico and is their national flower?



I also planted calibrachoa, a plant which is related to the petunia.  It is sometimes called "million bells" because of its profusion of blossoms.  Like the petunia, it is native to South America.  However, it is named after a Mexican botanist, so I guess I have something of a Mexican theme going on in the flower box.



When I was at the nursery I could not resist this Canna lily with its striking, mottled yellow flowers.  I planted it in a large pot and set it next to the flower box.


Something I didn't know about the Canna lily...  It is one of the oldest domesticated plants in the Americas.  For thousands of years it has been cultivated by natives in Latin America for its starchy, edible root.

By July, the flower box should be a solid mass of flowers... a pretty sight to wake up to in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I have never planted dahlias nor have I ever seen them in gardens here. Maybe you have to be at a lower elevation. I have never seen them in the nurseries either. The most beautiful ones I ever saw were in San Francisco at Golden Gate park. I asked what they were as some were the size of a salad plate! Gorgeous. Enjoy my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The altitude should have nothing to do with it since the Botanical Garden in Mexico City has an entire section of dahlias

      Delete