city at night

city at night

Monday, May 6, 2019

On "Seis de Mayo"

In the United States, "gringos" celebrate "Cinco de Mayo" by consuming margaritas and Mexican beer...

Here in Mexico City, I am spending a couple days at Alejandro's house.  Today I went over to the nearby Walmart to do some grocery shopping.  I noticed yellow tape placed across the displays of beer and liquor.  I took a closer look, and saw a sign saying that there would be no sales of alcohol on May 4th, 5th or 6th.  When I returned, I asked Alejandro's father about this.  He said that it is probably a local thing, since, as I mentioned in an earlier post, here in the neighborhood of San Juan de Aragón the fiesta is celebrated with a reenactment of the Battle of Puebla.  The firecrackers and rifle shots begin on the fourth and don't end until the sixth.  (As I write this I can hear the noise in the distance.)  As much as I enjoy folklore, this is not a celebration that I care to witness.  According to Alejandro, the battle degenerates into a drunken melee, and every year there are some people who are injured or even killed.   The participants can't buy their alcohol at Walmart.  They have to go elsewhere or stock up ahead of time.

Sorry, no photos or first hand reporting on the celebration on this blog.

UPDATE:  Alejandro told me that no stores are allowed to sell alcohol within the "delegación" of Gustavo A. Madero, the borough in which San Juan de Aragón is located.

No comments:

Post a Comment