city at night

city at night

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Along the Paseo

On most of my trips to Mexico City, I make a point of taking a walk along a portion of the city's most beautiful boulevard, the Paseo de la Reforma.




As more and more skyscrapers rise along the boulevard, I like to see how the construction projects are progressing and what new projects have been begun.

Near the entrance to Chapultepec Park the city's tallest buildings are clustered together.  Although it has reached its ultimate height, workers are still putting the finishing touches on Chapultepec Uno.



The 59 story building will house office and retail space, condos, and a Ritz Carlton Hotel.  It falls just two meters short of being the city's tallest building.  It does, however, exceed the tower right next door to it, the Torre Mayor, which used to be the tallest in Mexico and in all of Latin America.



Depending on the angle from which you are viewing the skyscrapers, the two buildings seem to merge into one.



On the other side of the Torre Mayor is Torre Reforma, currently the city's tallest skyscraper.  That building still looks ugly to me, as if it had never been completed.





The painting on the side of this building is new.  I am not quite sure what the phrase "I am because we are" is supposed to mean.



When you see a vacant lot with a barrier surrounding it, you can be rather sure that a new project is going up.  I manage to get a peek between the cracks of this barrier, and there was heavy equipment excavating the foundation for a new structure.



On the other side of the boulevard a construction crane marks another new project.



If you could go back in time to the beginning of the 20th century, you would have found the boulevard lined with elegant mansions such as this one.



This new building next to the U.S. Embassy is nearing completion.


But you can see over the barrier that the façade of one of the old mansions has been incorporated into the project.



The façade of another home is part of this bank building.



I could have continued up Reforma where I know that there is more construction underway.  However, by this time it looked as if it might rain. So I got back on the Metrobus heading down Insurgentes Avenue toward my apartment.  But I took one last photo of another building under construction near the Metrobus stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment