city at night

city at night

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Gourmet Lunch

There is one good thing about the trips that I have had to make to the gas company office to dispute my bills.  Just a block away is my favorite restaurant in Mexico City, "Angelopolitano"!  Yesterday it was 2:00 P.M. when I left the office. It was time for lunch, or I should say "la comida", the mid-afternoon dinner which in Mexico is the main meal of the day.  So I went over to "Angelopolitano" for a delicious lunch or dinner or whatever you want to call it.


To drink I ordered an "agua fresca" (flavored water) of strawberry and ginger... very refreshing!  They always bring out bread with a spicy, peanut salsa that I love.



I began with something that I had never ordered before and which sounded very unusual... "sopa de crepa" - crepe soup.


Strips of crepes were in a broth made from roasted tomatoes and sherry.  It was very good.

For my main course I ordered potato and chorizo enchiladas served with a "chile morita" sauce.  Enchiladas are a very ordinary dish that you will find in every Mexican restaurant, but the presentation of the dishes at "Angelopolitano" is always fantastic.  These were the prettiest enchiladas that I had ever seen!


And I would be willing to say that they were also the tastiest enchiladas I have ever had.  Leave it to "Angelopolitano" to turn the common enchilada into a gourmet dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment