city at night

city at night

Saturday, October 14, 2017

What Language Is It?

Alejandro sent me this short video which is hilarious.  I laughed out loud when I saw it.


However I don't know what language the actors are speaking.  I know that it is not German, however to me it sounds Germanic.  There are a couple words that sound exactly like English.  I'm wondering if it is Dutch, because that is supposed to be the language which is most closely related to English.  One of my Swiss cousins thinks that it is an Eastern European language, but it does not sound Slavic to me.

Do any of my readers know what language it is?????

2 comments:

  1. I think the language is likely Plattdeutsch, i.e. low German. For instance, when the young boy says "No" it is "Nee", which is Plattdeutsch for "nein". ("Nee" is also Dutch for "no", but the fact that the father and son are depicted as rural hicks would support them speaking a low German dialect.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback. I think you are correct. I went to Google Translate. If you recall, when the boy says "Silver Thing" it sounds just like English. And sure enough that phrase is spelled exactly like English in German. I checked it out in Dutch, and it is slightly different... Silveren Ding.
      I'm surprised that my Swiss cousin did not even think that they were speaking a Germanic language!

      Delete