from airplane

from airplane

Monday, October 30, 2017

Volunteerism

While I was traveling on the Metrobus I spotted tents set up in Pushkin Park on the edge of the Roma neighborhood.  I assumed that it was a homeless shelter for victims of the earthquake.  I also glimpsed a sign which said that donations of food were needed.

The next day, last Friday, I headed back to that spot, and talked to one of the volunteers there.  She told me that the spot was no longer being used as a shelter, but as a collection center (Centro de Acopio) for donations.  She told me what sort of things were needed, and I took off with my empty shopping bag to the nearest grocery store.


I bought most of the things that she had listed... bags of rice and dried beans, jars of baby food, powdered milk, canned tuna, canned vegetables. cereal, and disposable diapers.  I headed back and gave them my purchases.


Volunteers posing with my purchases

The project is not government sponsored.  The lady was quite critical of government efforts, saying that aid was not reaching the people who needed it.  She said that foreign aid from other countries was going into politicians' pockets... an allegation which may or may not be true, but which is not difficult to believe.

From the very ramshackle appearance of the center, one might question the legitimacy of this operation.  But everything seemed to be on the up and up.  I was told that no cash donations were accepted.  While I was still there they started going through my purchases, taking markers and crossing out bar codes, and writing "Donativo" (donation) on each item, That way no one could try to resell anything.   They have a Facebook page, and, if I were on Facebook, they would have sent me information on where my donation went.  The food and clothing that they are collecting is going to quake victims in small towns in the states of Oaxaca, Puebla and Morelos.  I was pleased to hear that.  So much emphasis is placed on what happened in Mexico City that the isolated rural areas are often forgotten.  Each weekend volunteers truck the donated goods to affected areas. 

Later I googled the "Centro de Acopio Puskin".  Immediately after the quake it had been a homeless shelter, but now the efforts are centered on collecting needed items.  The volunteers who staff the center are a very diverse group who include neighbors, students from UNAM (National University of Mexico), members of motorcycle clubs, and Boy Scouts.  Before I return home in November, I intend to go there again and bring them more groceries. 

I'm writing this, not to pat myself on the back, but to highlight the efforts that the people of Mexico are making to aid those who are in need. 





2 comments:

  1. You are a kind soul, Bill. I'm glad to see that there are people working independently to help the affected earthquake victims.

    Saludos y un abrazo,

    Kim G
    Redding, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the government did not learn from 1985, and still is not getting help to where it is needed.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete