from airplane

from airplane

Monday, October 23, 2017

I Love a Parade!

I have written numerous posts about "alebrijes", the colorful sculptures of fantastical creatures which have become one of the best known forms of Mexican folk art.  They began in the 1930s in Mexico City and were created from cardboard or papier-mâché.  Later the art form spread to Oaxaca where artisans created the carvings out of wood.

Each October since 2007, the Museum of Popular Arts in Mexico City has organized a "Parade of Monumental Alebrijes".  The event has grown in size and popularity.  This year there were 185 giant-sized "alebrijes" in the parade.  They are created by individual artists, workshops, or organizations, and are wheeled down the city streets on carts.

After the parade the "alebrijes" are put on public display for a couple weeks.  I have viewed them a number of times, and I have posted pictures on this blog.  However, my trips to Mexico City at this time of year have usually been a little bit later, and I have never seen the parade.  This year I was in luck!  On Saturday Alejandro and I went downtown, claimed a spot on the sidewalk along Juárez Avenue, and watched the event.  The whimsical sculptures will be on display along the Paseo de la Reforma, and, even though I witnessed the parade, I intend to go there to take a closer look at the "alebrijes"

Below are some video clips and photos which I took of the parade...


The parade is led by the Mexican Navy Band.










The members of this marching band were dressed as mummies.














Next weekend Alejandro and I plan to see another parade... Mexico City's second annual Day of the Dead Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment