city at night

city at night

Sunday, June 12, 2016

It's Gone

A while ago I wrote that I was in the process of chopping down a large, overgrown juniper bush at the front corner of my house.  At that time I was about half way done, and I posted this picture.


After hacking away at it a bit at a time, the monster bush is finally gone.  It would have been a much quicker job if I had used a chain saw, but, frankly, I'm afraid of chain saws.  I used a pruner and a bow saw to cut the thicker branches.  The stump which you see in the picture below has since been sawed off close to the ground.  I am not going to dig out the roots since the gas line runs nearby. 



The azalea, which still has a few blossoms, is no longer hemmed in by the juniper, and will have room to grow.  I have to decide what sort of bush to plant in the big empty space.  It will definitely be something smaller, and it will be planted farther away from the house.  Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. That azalea will certainly grow much better without the shade of the bush. I wish I had a space like yours, where I could plant all my favorite trees and bushes, but the silly owners of the house I'm renting covered everything with concrete. But my next house will have a lot of green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Tino,
      You should get some flowers pots and create your own little garden in spite of all the concrete.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  2. Hola Bill!
    You can get a powdered enzyme at Home Depot or a similar type of store that will dramatically speed the rotting of your stump. You drill holes in the stump, pour the stuff in, and the rotting process goes into overdrive. That'd be a good way to get rid of the stump without digging.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    CDMX, México
    Where there's a TON of greenery in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that product, although I think that I will just let it be. After I plant a new shrub and perennials to the front of the bed, the stump will not be visible.
      Gracias,
      Bill

      Delete