city at night

city at night

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Art on the Bridge

For a number of years I was a member of the Berea Fine Arts Club, an organization based in the neighboring city of Berea, Ohio, which encourages local artists.  Each year the club holds several shows at which members and other artists can display and sell their work.  I was participating in at least three shows each year.  Now and then I would sell a painting, but I would always sell quite a few smaller objects such as hand-painted Christmas ornaments and cards.

When I started spending more time traveling, I left the club, because I didn't have the time to contribute to the work of the club or to participate in the shows.

One of the shows which the club holds every autumn is Art on the Bridge.  The event is held in my hometown of Olmsted Falls.  Artists set up their displays of art on the covered bridge in the center of town as well as along the path leading to the bridge.  Yesterday I went to see the show. 


There are in Ohio many covered bridges dating from the 1800s.   This bridge, however, was built in the 1990s to enhance the picturesque atmosphere of Olmsted Falls.  (The northeastern corner of Ohio where I live is known as the Western Reserve.  After the American Revolution this area was set aside for war veterans from the state of Connecticut.  As a result there are many towns here that have a "New England" feel, and Olmsted Falls is a prime example.)

 
(Looking down from the bridge at the park below)
 
 
More the a dozen artists had set up for the show, and there was a variety of artwork...  paintings, photography, pottery, wood-carvings, jewelry, etc.
 
 
Water color paintings done by a friend of mine who is a long-time member of the club.
 
 
I had a chance to chat with members that I know from my time in the club.  The weather was very cooperative... mostly sunny with warm temperatures.  It was a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE these bridges and what a cool place to have an art show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a perfect place for an art show, especially on a beautiful, early autumn day as yesterday was.
      ¡Saludos!

      Delete
  2. I love covered bridges. While I'm sure we have some here in Boston, New Hampshire and Vermont are the mother lode of such. Often they're in the middle of nowhere, connecting two sides of a small brook, with nothing but trees all around. I have some lovely pictures I've taken during some motorcycle rides. Perhaps I should post them on my blog.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we're itching to get out of the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have quite a few covered bridges in Ohio... must be that New England influence that I mentioned. Ashtabula County, two counties to the east of where I live, has 17 of them. In October they hold an annual "Covered Bridge Festival." Yes, you should write a post with your pics of New England bridges.
      My reservations are all made for two trips to Mexico... one in November and another in January/February. Maybe we will get to meet up in D.F. in the near future.
      ¡Saludos!

      Delete
    2. I'd love to meet up. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Ever been to Tehucán? LOL...

      Delete
    3. ¡Ja ja! I've passed through Tehuacán, and that was enough. Alejandro was at one time working in a rural area near Tehuacán, and wasn't impressed with the city either. If you spend much time there, I am sure that you will need a break in D.F.

      Delete