city at night

city at night

Saturday, January 3, 2015

2015 - Another Year of Travel



2014 was the busiest travel year in my entire life.  There were four trips to Mexico, and two trips to Europe.  I calculated that I spent almost one third of the year outside of the U.S.

In 2015 I will be spending more time at home (no trips to Europe planned for this year).  However, I do have a big trip to Mexico just around the corner.  Next Wednesday I am leaving for five weeks in Mexico.  As I get older, the cold winters in Ohio are less and less appealing, and the warmth south of the border beckons me.

For the first time in quite a while, I will not be in Mérida, Yucatán, one of my favorite cities in Mexico.  Instead, I will travel to Oaxaca, which is 227 miles to the south of Mexico City.  I will be accompanied by my friend and former teaching colleague Jane.  (Regular readers of my blog may remember that Jane spent some time with me in Mérida last year.)  I have rented a two bedroom house in Oaxaca through AirBnB, a website which I have used a number of times to find vacation rentals.  Jane will spend a couple weeks with me in Oaxaca.  After she returns to the cold in Ohio, I will take a bus up to Mexico City, and spend three weeks visiting my friend Alejandro.  There I have rented the same apartment that I had when I was there in November.

Right now, I am busy getting ready for the trip... checking off the items on my "to-do" list.  So it is most likely that my next post will be from Oaxaca!

To all my readers, best wishes for a wonderful new year!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy the warmth of Oaxaca. Believe it or not, we have had mild weather for all of December and now in the new year as well.
    Did NOT get to the beach - long story..........
    More later.
    Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I am leaving just in time. The temperature is going to take a nosedive here. On Wednesday, the day I leave, the high temp will be 14, the low will be 5!

      Delete
  2. I too head south of the border next week to quench
    my Mexican thirst!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias, Usted tambien!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How happy I am to discover your blog. I am also a retired teacher who spends 4-5 months travelling each year (mostly in Europe) but who is visiting Oaxaca in March. I always enjoy reading about the adventures of others. This will be my longest visit to Oaxaca (2.5 months) so I'm also looking for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for commenting.

      Well, keep visiting my blog in the next couple weeks, and you can read about the places we visit, restaurants where we eat, etc.

      2.5 months is a long time... but there is a lot to see in the area, and you will have plenty of time to just relax and enjoy the atmosphere. If you enjoy the beach, there are some beach resorts on the Oaxaca coast (such as Puerto Escondido). You could break up your time in the city with some beach time. (I'm not really a beach person, and have not been to Puerto Escondido. But it is supposed to be very low key... not like Cancun... and it is just a 1 hour flight from Oaxaca city.)
      Saludos!

      Delete