city at night

city at night

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Another quiz: "Name That Ruin!"

Mexico is incredibly rich in archaeological sites.  It would probably take a lifetime to visit them all... and by that time archaeologists would have uncovered yet more.  Alejandro and I enjoy wandering among ruins and climbing pyramids.  We have visited a number of sites during my visits to Mexico.

Below is a picture that I took in April of 2013...


My first question should be fairly easy to answer...  What Pre-Hispanic deity is portrayed in this carving?

My second question is...  In which archaeological site is this carving located?

I will tell you that the site was an important city and is quite impressive.  It is fairly accessible, and has a visitors' center and museum.  However, it is not visited by very many foreign tourists.  Can you name it?

UPDATE:  That was really quick.  Joan, the winner of my last quiz, correctly identified the deity in the carving as Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent.  She also answered that the carving is located in Xochicalco.  Xochicalco is located about 50 miles from Mexico City in the state of Morelos.  It was an important trade center, and was at its height between AD 700 and 900.  I shall have to write a more detailed post about my visit there.

Congratulations, again, Joan!

12 comments:

  1. HMMMM
    Quetzalcoatl ???
    (Joan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! and Is it at Xochicalco ?

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHA Pyramid of the Feathered Serpent !!

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Joan! You got another one! I thought that Quetzalcoatl would be easy to identify, but I figured it would take a while before anyone identified the site as Xochicalco. Good work!

      Delete
  4. Easy to count out all the highly visited ruins and then a few left
    of that importance ! Wonderful Quetzalcoatl, the quetzal and
    the serpent. Mx is filled with these ruins and they are just stunning
    aren't they. I hope I'm not disqualified!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you be disqualified? You won fair and square. Although, if I do another quiz, perhaps you should hold back a while and see if someone else can get the answer. LOL
      Yes, Mexico certainly is rich with fascinating ruins.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  5. Well thx! and your clues have been very helpful! I'm not sure
    The Feathered Serpent would want me to hold back!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, I supposed you must do what the Feathered Serpent tells you! LOL
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  6. In April of 2012, F and I went to Xochicalco. It's one of my favorite ruins in Mexico due to the fantastic artwork and the amazing site. Wish I had gotten to your blog post sooner; I immediately knew where that shot was taken.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we are living proof that if you snooze, you lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xochicalco definitely exceeded my expectations.
      I really expected Gary Denness to answer that one. On his blog, Xochicalco is listed as one of his favorite archaeological sites.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  7. Good thing I didn't hold back!
    I love these carvings.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew that someone would be able to answer.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete