zocalo

zocalo

Sunday, October 29, 2023

What a Mess!

In my last post I wrote that I was waiting for the movers to arrive with the household goods and furniture that I had shipped from Ohio.  The company specializes in international moving from the U.S. and Canada to Mexico.  Their headquarters are in San Miguel de Allende, a city that is very popular with U.S. ex-pats.  They stored my stuff at their warehouse there until I was here in Mexico City.

Since the former owners were leaving the condo completely furnished, there were only a few pieces of furniture that I was shipping.  Most of the shipment consisted of artwork, decorative items, personal memorabilia. and a few kitchen items.

A couple hours after I had written my previous post, the movers arrived.  They were very happy that everything fit in the elevator and that they did not have to carry anything up the flights of stairs.  They removed unpacked the pieces of furniture and put them in place.  They also hung some of the artwork.  However, all of the smaller boxes were left to me to unpack (which I guess is normal procedure with moving companies).  Many of those boxes went into the office.  The former owner had sold the exercise equipment that he had there, so that was the room that had the most space.  After I had unpacked those boxes, the room was a disaster area with packing paper piled high.


The living room / dining room area was also a mess, but at least I could see how I was starting to make the place my own.  With the black-framed mirror and the black cabinet for my DVDs and compact discs the space looked completely different.  You can also see to the left, one of my paintings hanging on the wall.  


The antique-style table under the mirror will eventually be replaced.  We are going to look for a small black credenza that will fit in with the other black furniture on that side of the room. 

It will take a while to get the apartment just the way I want it, but we are getting there!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I thought you were going to say you got someone elses stuff or that it wouldn't be there for another month or two. YOU are on lucky man to have had things run so so smoothly. Who did you end up using in SMA? Congrats on things happening for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I went with Golden Bear for the move. They did not bring one of my custom-made Amish end tables. Luis said that he will deliver it personally.

      Delete