zocalo

zocalo

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Another Month Passes

It's time to flip my calendar to October and to take a look at the painting from the Cleveland Museum of Art which I chose for this month.


Although the artist is not a household name today, in the early 20th century he was an important painter who helped introduce impressionism to the United States.  I have always liked this painting; however, I must admit that I made a mistake when I created the calendar.  The artist's first name was spelled "Childe".

Because of his last name, many people assumed that he was of Middle Eastern descent.  In fact, he was from an old New England family of English ancestry.  The family surname of "Horsham" had become corrupted over time.  He painted many urban landscapes, and this one portrays New York City's famous avenue which was then becoming a busy and fashionable shopping district.

Although we are in October, the weather for the next few days will be quite summery.  Today's high is expected to reach 79 degrees Fahrenheit, and on Tuesday and Wednesday will exceed 80.  

2 comments:

  1. He has always been a favorite artist of mine! Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only familiar with the one painting of his that is hanging in our museum, but I did a little research to write this post. Yes, his art is lovely.

      Delete