zocalo

zocalo

Monday, October 2, 2023

An Afternoon with the Orchestra

Mexico City has an incredible wealth of cultural institutions, but there is one thing it does not have... the world-renowned Cleveland Orchestra, acclaimed as one of the best in the world.

So, I was very happy when my friend Carol gave me a couple of tickets for a Sunday afternoon performance.  I was able to enjoy one last concert before I make the move south of the border.  I invited my friend and house sitter, Frank, to join me.  Yesterday afternoon we drove to Cleveland's beautiful Severance Hall, the home of the orchestra.




The orchestra onstage before the beginning of the concert


The program began with Brahm's Piano Concerto No. 1. with Russian-born Daniil Trifonov as the soloist.  The young pianist has been universally acclaimed.  The London Times wrote that he is "without question the most astounding pianist of our age".  His performance in this monumental work was indeed spectacular.  

The second work on the program was Prokofiev's Symphony No. 6.  This piece was written by the Russian composer in 1947 and reflects the tragedy and triumph of World War II.  Although it is not his most popular work, many consider it his most profound symphony.  It was not exactly my cup of tea, but it was virtuosic performance by our great orchestra.  The final movement which is like a perpetual motion machine was especially riveting.

I was thrilled to be able to experience our wonderful orchestra once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment