zocalo

zocalo

Friday, October 13, 2023

Final Time at the Board of Elections


Yesterday I took time out of my busy schedule to drive to the county board of elections in downtown Cleveland.  The ballot in this off-year election only has a few local races, but there are two important state-wide issues that I wanted to vote on.

I have become used to going to the board of elections because I am always in Mexico in November.  Instead of signing up for an absentee ballot, I vote in person during the early voting period in October.  I will be in Mexico again this November, but the difference is that I will not be back to vote again.  Before next year's election, I will have to inquire at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City about the procedure for voting as an ex-pat.

I was chatting with the lady who gave me my ballot, and I told her that I was moving to Mexico in a couple of weeks.  I didn't get the response I still sometimes get of "Why would you want to move there?!"  Instead, she thought it was exciting.  She handed me a children's activity book and said, "Here, you can show this to people, and they can learn some interesting facts about Ohio." 


I'll give it to Alejandro's 13-year-old nephew, and he can practice his English.

No comments:

Post a Comment