zocalo

zocalo

Thursday, October 26, 2023

¡Adiós, Ohio!

I am writing this at the United Club in Houston International Airport during my layover before I board my flight to Mexico City.

This morning I checked out of the hotel where I had been staying since vacating my (former) home last Friday.  My friend Frank drove me to the airport and took this photo of me with my abundance of luggage.  I splurged on a first-class ticket, and, with my Silver Premier status with United Airlines, I was allowed three checked suitcases plus two carry-on items.



I relaxed for about forty minutes in the United Club lounge at Cleveland Airport before heading to my gate.  The flight boarded on time.  For a change, my departure was not before daybreak.  It was a partly sunny day in Cleveland with unseasonably mild temperatures. (Next week, however,


We pulled away from the gate a few minutes ahead of schedule, and we were soon in the air.  Lake Erie was visible on the horizon.







I was following the flight map on the screen in front of me.  So I knew that we were near the Indiana / Illinois border when we crossed the winding Ohio River.



We were just north of Memphis, Tennessee, when we crossed the equally winding Mississippi River.



By 1:00 P.M. (2:00 Eastern Time) the plane descended into the Houston area, where there it was mostly cloudy with some periods of rain (perhaps the remnants of Hurricans Otis?),




We deplaned at Terminal C, and my connecting flight is also departing from Terminal C just a six-minute walk away.  And, conveniently, in between there is a United Club lounge where I am comfortably passing my long layover.  The flight to Mexico is scheduled to leave on time,  Knock on wood, everything is going smoothly, and by early evening I should arrive in my new home, Mexico City.


4 comments:

  1. I could not be happier for you. Enjoy DF! Tienes cajones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you are retired from the arduous work of transitioning to becoming a resident alien in your new forever home! Congratulations and happiness to you always! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Muchas gracias, prima!

    ReplyDelete