zocalo

zocalo

Friday, October 20, 2023

Today is the Day

Today I will vacate the house in which I have lived since I was three years old.  My friend Frank, who for many years has looked after the house when I travel, will come over later this morning.  

The first item on the agenda will be to go to the car dealership where I bought my Prius in 2017.  About a month ago I went there to discuss the sale, and we agreed to what I thought was a very fair price.  


Good-bye, my trusty Prius!

Because I have been spending half the year in Mexico, the mileage is extremely low for a six-year-old car.   I guess I am almost like that proverbial "little old lady from Pasadena".  I am obviously not going to drive the car to Mexico, and I have no desire to own a car down there.  The one thing I hate about Mexico City is the traffic, but my apartment is just a couple blocks from a Metrobus stop.  From there I can get to almost anywhere I would want to go in the city.  And Alejandro, of course, has a car.

Frank will follow me to the dealership.  After I sell the car, he will take me on some errands, and then we will go back to the house.  We will put my luggage in his car and vacate the house.  Tomorrow, the liquidators will arrive, and over the next few days they will clear out the house.  In the meantime, I will stay in a nearby hotel for my last few days in Ohio.  Since I will not have any transportation, Frank will be with me.  After the liquidators have finished their job, and before the new owners move in, we will probably go back to take one last look at the empty house.  I don't know how emotional that moment will be.  When Frank takes me to the airport and we say farewell, that moment will most certainly be emotional.   At this time, it is just starting to hit me that very soon I will say good-bye to Ohio and begin a new stage of my life in Mexico City.   

No comments:

Post a Comment